Sunday 21 July 2013

it's better in the USA

Hello there!

I'm back from the land of the Weird, the Wacky and the Wonderful ..... the USA!!

USA totally lives up to the 3 Ws and  I will be back for more!!

Some of the places I visited were San Francisco, New York City and the Grand Canyon in Arizona, Las Vegas, Los Angeles. I am so returning to the States for Alaska !

I really miss their 99c stores, where i can find amazing deals! It's just 1 dollar for 10 hangers! or how about 1 dollar for a bottle of Jergens Soap! or 1 dollar for a pair of decent sunnies! One thing annoys me however. their prices exclude state taxes. But then  again, their tax is is pretty low, like 7-10 % depending on which state you're in. The reason I'm annoyed is the fact that I end up paying more than what I thought I have to. Regardless, I think standard of living is cheaper there! Seriously. Where can you get a hanger for ten cents in Singapore? Not even Daiso sells it that cheaply. It's no wonder I have to end up folding all my 1000 pieces of  clothes!

Another thing I miss is their drivers. I totally love driving along their highways. The drivers are so considerate. The moment they see you getting behind them on the express lane, they 'siam' immediately for you. When you're jaywalking across the road, the drivers will stop 10 meters away from you! seriously. they're damn polite. miss that so much about american drivers. maybe not for NY drivers but elsewhere is pretty good though.

I also miss SALSA! thank god I can get it from Carl's Jr. And oh my , I love their greens which are so fresh and they dump one whole pile of it on your plate. I've seen that at the Cheesecake Factory, Junior's etc.. If you go to Five Guys, you can even help yourself to peanuts while waiting for your food or while you're eating your food. What are they stingy with then ? I can't even think of any. Even their drinks are usually refillable for free, although I don't take more than 2 rounds cos too much soft drinks makes me burp a lot anyway.

Oh i love their 90 days return policy. If you buy something and you don't like it, refund it! yeah, that's what i call satisfaction fully guaranteed. Applies only to certain stores like Walmart and Target though and you cant  do that for electronic games / copyrighted stuff.

Like a typical Singaporean, I love shopping. so where is the best place to shop? Factory outlets definitely.
If you like to save a lot more, look out for this magic word --  'clearance'. Shop at the clearance racks cos they still have lotsss of stuff to clear, so much so that you can still get the sizes and designs you like. Half of my steals are from clearance racks/ shelves. The other half of them are entitled to coupon discounts, sometimes. It's always good to see whats on sale before checking out each store cos there're so many stores to cover I suggest heading to the info counter of each outlet mall to get your visitor's discount booklet.
Some recommended places to shop in Las Vegas :
Town Square (it's really children-friendly. Go  if the weather is good),
FashionShow Mall (it's huge . great for all weathers),
Las Vegas  Factory Outlet - North ( get more branded stuff here than the South. Go if weather is good )
Boulevard Mall ( they have 3 major dept stores there, and 4-5 telco stores)

People wise, I have not personally met any racist person who has out-rightly cursed or sworn at me. It was different for my fellow Asian friend though. But generally, they treated me better than what I had expected and I feel there are more friendly and welcoming people than racists ones. of course there are people who would smoke on buses,  and do weird things. Just ignore them and they wont touch you.


I'm going back. I;m going to see Alaska and the Northern Lights.
I just need to save










No comments: